Friday, August 28, 2009

Social Media

I'm not a blogger, I am not disciplined enough to write on a regular basis, but I had to write today and talk about my love for Canadian Independent Country music.

Just last night I was letting my good friend hear "You Can't Say I didn't Love You" by @AaronPritchett, undoubtedly my favorite song by AP. Then this morning I hear "My Way", and remember the first time I heard it. I wondered how it was I had never heard of this @AaronPritchett, guy before? It was the beginning of a beautiful love affair with the music of Aaron.

All this thinking about Aaron led me to thinking about the independant artists who are hot right now in Canada. @taraoram, @victoriabanks, @jessiefarrell, @tonyakennedy and the list goes on. While Aaron had music that had been released before I heard of him, I heard of all the previous mentioned ladies before their first singles hit radio for the most part.

The reason for this? Social Media. UGH I just said the catch phrase I never wanted to say. Yup. Social Media. UGH! My poisons of choice when it comes to this is Facebook and Twitter. I love them both just as much as I hate them. Why hate them? They run my life. Most people would say then disconnect. I can't I am addicted.

Why do I love it? @jessiefarrell is a perfect example. I watch the CCMA awards and follow her twitters. I may see the awards on TV, but I feel I am there with her play by play twitters from behind the scenes. I get a peek into what an artist goes through pre and post show with her updates. I feel I am making a difference 2069.31 miles away from the storms that hit the Big Valley Jamboree, because I am retweeting messages to and from @jessiefarrell helping people find each other.

I could go on all day about the cool things that have happened since I started on twitter, but I am pretty sure they would bore you, while they are all very exciting to me. However the best reason is because I feel connected again to country radio in Canada. Something I have not felt since I left radio in 1998.

Have a peek at the artists I mentioned above. You will find some sweet music just waiting to be heard, and also amazing talent right from home. Garth who? The real talents are all here baby.

Great Canadian Talent, Independent or not so Independent
@taraoram
@victoriabanks
@jessiefarrell
@tonyakennedy
@AaronPritchett
@jasonblainefans
@AdamGregorySong
@StevenLeeOlsen
@one_more_girl
@thejasonmccoy
@DericRuttan
@AaronLines

Take a look, have a listen, buy a CD and support local talent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers